Can your choir do this?

Tuesday, January 24th, 2006
Kathy and I met in the choir. We've done some interesting things vocally, but never anything like this...

Check out this commercial from the folks at Honda UK. It will tickle your ears and your imagination.

Click on "Watch Civic" and wait for the flash file to download. It will start automatically.

I wish I was still in choir. I bet my choir director would have a field day with this.

Update: Apparently this site has more reliable viewing.

Can your choir do this?

Not sure it's available on the website, but for those in the UK who have Sky and see the Ad, you can press the red button and get a short film on how they put it together, including some of the rehearsals. Very Cool.

Posted at 1/24/2006 4:31:07 AM by NickR

Can your choir do this?

Who needs keyboards and synthesizers? Humans have more fun!

Posted at 1/24/2006 8:13:36 AM by Kathy

Can your choir do this?

I'm a choir director (college) and loved it. The "how we made it" was really interesting.

Thanks for the link!

Posted at 1/24/2006 9:02:11 AM by Philip Copeland

Can your choir do this?

Posted at 1/24/2006 12:13:54 PM by Peter Beers

re: Can your choir do this?

Peter Beers wrote: "My choir could do this, but it would probably sound like an old Buick with badly worn tires, a few pistons misfiring and no muffler."

Peter, did you have anyone in mind (e.g. badly worn tires, missing pistons, and no muffler)? Do I know them?

:-)

Posted at 1/24/2006 2:19:41 PM by Eric Mack

Prudence would lead me to silence.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted at 1/24/2006 2:42:36 PM by Peter Beers

Can your choir do this?

Call me old fashioned, but since when is it music to make humans sound like and imitate machines? Maybe Arnold will like it. Fun, cool for about the length of the commercial, but do I want to buy the CD or hear it regularly.......uh, no.

I want my car to sound like a car, and my choir to sound like a choir.... I give it two thumbs in my ears..... ;-0

Posted at 1/24/2006 6:59:27 PM by Michael McClish

Yes, old fashioned

Michael,

You are a little old fashioned, I'm sorry to say. Great music sometimes sounds like cars. Or rain. Listen to some Eric Whitacre. Fabulous.

{ Link }

Posted at 1/24/2006 9:59:44 PM by Philip Copeland

Can your choir do this?

ok, then, give me about three titles of great choral pieces where the whole concept is to make the choir sound as un/inhuman as possible..........and exactly how popular is it?

And why don't you also ask instrumentalists if they enjoy beating up their instruments to make weird noises......they use a cheap instrument for such pieces.

I did all those "creative" things in college, and the most moving were always those that expressed higher level human feelings, emotions, not just a mere imitation of a mechanical machine....though I guess if cars make you hot, this piece might do the trick. I've done Ives, Strav, Schon, and plenty other recent composers, and it is mostly a lot of work with not as much emotional reward.

I feel the most lasting and memorable musical moments are those which elevate us to some higher spiritual or emotional plane----could you sit through 2+ hours of a concert like this commercial???? Not me. Even Penderecki's (sp?) Hiroshima is more expressive, and it is from the 60's---anyone remember that one?

Don't want this to turn into a big argument, so I will not answer anymore. See you in the old folks' home! Whatever happened to old Lawrence Welk, anyway?

Posted at 1/25/2006 11:32:29 AM by Michael McClish

Can your choir do this?

I beg to differ---great SOUND EFFECTS sound like cars or rain---oops,sorry, broke my vow of silence. Oh, by the way, I remember when I was a kid I could really sound like race cars and screeching tires, and I have students who can sound like the chirp of car security beepers and police sirens---we must all be prodigies! Let's not get too full of ourselves. This emperor knows when he is dressed or b-naked! Ta ta.

Posted at 1/25/2006 5:46:03 PM by Michael McClish

Can your choir do this?

They must have had fun making that! Something very different for them to master!

Posted at 1/26/2006 10:54:20 AM by Michael Sampson

Can your choir do this?

Michael, you dared someone to call you old fashioned so I did. You have an outdated version of the types of sounds choirs can make. I was thrilled to see an actual living choir in a commercial--not a common thing these days. Who cares if they sounded like a car? It was pretty cool, I think, and it employed some musicians.

My suggestion to you still stands: listen to some Eric Whitacre choral music. I think you will love the new sounds.

Posted at 1/26/2006 9:14:38 PM by Philip Copeland

Can your choir do this?

I am still quite active in the choral/vocal community in LA, and could be busier if I wanted, and, yes, choirs can do some very novel things......I have done many myself in the past..belched, gurgled, hissed, popped....it all comes and goes.....and there is no substitute for healthy choral/solo singing and substantial composition.....and remember, the purpose of the commercial was to sell cars......if we will scoff at synths (which I have) that imitate voices, then the reverse is also true...

Posted at 1/28/2006 12:17:47 AM by Michael McClish