20071129MakatiHotelCoupAttempt.jpgI was speaking, full speed, in the last hour and a half of day five of the Beyond Planning: eProductivity conference in Manila, when Pastor Sumrall interrupted me to break up the conference and send everyone home due to an attempted Coup D'Etat in process in Makati (Manila). Pastor led us in a quick prayer and dismissed everyone; people wasted no time in evacuating the building. My driver packed my computer and whisked me to my hotel. I'm now safe and comfortable in my hotel, watching the tanks storm the hotel and troops with M16s and tear gas launchers. Presently, it looks like this first stage could be over soon. We'll see... Ultimately, God remains in control, so I have no worries.

Eric, presenting with his Tablet PC at the eProductivity Conference, ManilaI feel bad for all of the people at the conference, though; we got off to a late start this morning due to last night's typhoon and now this. As we left, we told everyone that they were welcome to come back for the student conference tomorrow and that I would arrive earlier to spend time with them.

What next? I've had no time to process email, blog or even look at the photos from the conference all week. I'll try to find some photos to share as time permits.

Hi Sir Eric,

Don't feel sad, atleast all participants arrived home safely and were able to get a transportation going home.

We're actually located near the Manila Peninsula, and most of us here are having a hard time looking for a taxi. The rest chose to stay put in the office until the situations calms down (w/c is usually the case).

Well, I'm sure we'll all enjoy the last day of the seminar with you. See yah!

Posted at 11/29/2007 3:17:38 AM by Pam

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Hi Mr. Eric! That was really funny. I was there when it happened.I was also shocked because Ptr. Sumrall got on the platform out of nowhere. hahaha...

I was on the seminar the whole day so i quite have really no idea about the incident until Ptr. Sumrall got there.

By the way, that was my last session. Too bad I can't attend tomorrow to finish the topics that are left. I already have another scheduled activity.

Thank you very much for all the knowledge and the wisdom that you shared unto us. We really had a great time and that seminar was really worth attending. God bless you.

Regards to your family.

P.S.

Where can i send the pictures that we have taken with you?

Posted at 11/29/2007 3:35:43 AM by Pam Cuvin

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

= prayers for your safety, and of those around you

Posted at 11/29/2007 6:19:01 AM by Gavin Knight

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

thank GOD! everything is under control now...

i really learned a lot from the conference...

i will sure be back tomorrow to learn more!!!

Posted at 11/29/2007 6:31:46 AM by jonathan

Come to think of it...

You experienced 2 typhoons(maybe 3)

A 6.0 earthquake

A political crisis

Lots of weird Pinoy food

Gee what happens next?

Posted at 11/29/2007 6:39:18 AM by Jong Fernandez

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Hi sir eric, i am one of the attendees of the seminar at COP and i feel bad that we did not able to complete our lecture today because of what had happened in Pen Hotel this afternoon and i was not able to extend my gratitude to you personnally because we rushed to leave at COP. i so glad that i've able to attend that conference because i learn more from you. thru your blog anyway i can extend my gratitude and i'll be happy if i can hear from in future to ask some advices on how to become succesful in running my own business. again, thank you sir eric and hoping that you will spare me your convenient time so that i can reach you anytime for more tips on how to become successful and more GTD tips. more power and i am praying that you will not get tired in helping others.

Posted at 11/29/2007 7:15:17 AM by Jerry Demarana

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Hi Eric - was thinking about you when this news broke - keep safe!

Posted at 11/29/2007 8:15:01 AM by Steve Castledine

Adventures in life ....

Wow Eric, hope you are safe.

This will for sure be a trip to never forget!

Posted at 11/29/2007 8:18:36 AM by Peter

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Hi Eric, all I can say is, welcome to the Philippines!

Thanks so much for coming over and sharing with us your expertise in eProductivity. I've really learned (and relearned) alot, having been acquainted with GTD since 2003... but have yet to learn how to stay on the wagon.

I hope that everything goes smoothly tomorrow!

More power and God bless!

Posted at 11/29/2007 8:19:30 AM by Vince Torralba

I’m glad you’re safe

Maybe you can make use of the production facilities there and leave a video of the rest of the day's session.

Posted at 11/29/2007 9:48:12 AM by Tanny O'Haley

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

How come the wife is the last to know???? I know - I was unreachable last night. How far is this from where you are?

Posted at 11/29/2007 11:25:59 AM by Kathy Mack

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Kat, I sent email immediately and I notified Michael as well. I'm fine and in good hands. As far as the mutiny against the president it was pretty boring, really. I'm thankful for that. I'll see you soon.

Love,

Eric

Posted at 11/29/2007 3:28:53 PM by Eric Mack

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Dad, I am so glad you and the other people at the conference are safe. Wow! You have had so many adventures! All that is left is to be kidnapped by pirates! (wink) We are all praying for you and the others.

Love you lots,

Wendy

Posted at 11/29/2007 9:07:37 PM by Wendy

Am glad ur safe

yup... we are so glad God has a shield put up for everyone as ive heard no one got stranded or got no transpo going home last nights' commotion..that short prayer led by Pas.David...worked well as the coup faded into the background..& the conference was well on sched. as planned..Yes God is in control and

Praise Him for His grace. Hope u can visit Manila again soon..

Posted at 11/30/2007 5:08:21 AM by gertrude

Don’t joke about Pirates, Wendy

Pirates are a real threat in this part of Asia, so NO PIRATE JOKES.

Understand?

I'll see you, soon.

Love, Dad.

Posted at 11/30/2007 8:26:30 AM by Eric Mack

Hi Eric,

All of us from COP knows that in situations like this Pastor Sumrall always thinks about our safety first and we are thankful for that and for other things he does for us.

Writing here is really hard for me because I don't really read blogs much less write. But since the conference was announced i began to read your blog and kinda liked it because of the rich information I could get.

My wife and I are truly inspired with the wisdom you've shared in the conference and we're looking forward to implementing and incorporating them into our family and work system.

I would like to thank Pastor Sumrall and all our Pastors at COP, the ECS and KBF, and all our brothers and sisters who made this conference possible. You are all a great blessing to us.

And Eric, thank you very much for your generosity in sharing your wisdom and expertise. The Lord bless you and your family.

Merry Christmas!

In Christ, TSR

Posted at 11/30/2007 12:20:28 PM by Teody

Hello Eric,

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and tools on productivity. I got a full day last Thursday, running from 1 meeting to another. Come 3:00pm I arrived at COP, glad to be there.At 4pm I went out for a quick bite for a late lunch. While nibbling my food near the door entrance, I was dismayed when we were advised to go home for safety sake. Dismayed because I looked forward to hearing the part on Organizational Learning - good thing there's your blog and website to cover what I missed. I arrived home safely, and yes, the event at Makati was the way you described it - even the mayor agreed that the damage would have been less as some re-actions made were not necessary. Now for my next action - check out your Conference Blog!

Posted at 11/30/2007 5:57:55 PM by Vicki Martinoff

Eric,

I apologize, as a frequent reader of your blog and an American who lived in the Philippines for 14 years and survived a coup or two; I could've warned you in advance. Glad to hear you are safe and that the normal state of control reestablished. I've enjoyed reading about your experiences.

Posted at 11/30/2007 7:07:49 PM by Andrew

wish you could drop by next year @cop ^^,

i've learned alot. i've applied it and it really works. thanks Mr. E!

take care!

Posted at 12/1/2007 1:25:22 AM by ash

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Hi Eric! Don't feel bad, God was in control...You know just applied what I learned from you and just open my blog... you can check it..I will work on it more in the coming days...Job well done...hope you get back and you will hear from me...

Posted at 12/1/2007 1:34:34 AM by Lyndon

How to end a productivity conference unproductively

Was at work when news broke out about the Makati standoff. My first instinct was to call one of the COP pastors and ask if you were booked at the Manila Peninsula. Good thing you were booked at the Manila Pavilion, which was miles away from the supposed coup.

Eric, you were a true blessing to our church. Live long and prosper!

Posted at 12/13/2007 11:16:12 AM by David Dizon

Dear Mr. Mack,

As for me, I feel the coup was so embarrassing. To think that a senator was involved. But, I thank GOD it failed.

But I thank Him more for your presence in our church and for all the knowledge and wisdom you have imparted. You have inspired us very much! More power in CHRIST JESUS!

So thankful,