As JAXA gets ready to send a spacecraft to the moon later this year, there are increased initiatives to capture, share, and reuse knowledge within JAXA.
JAXA Goals for KM
- Improve reliability for Satellite Development
- share information learned within and between programs.
In the past, each satellite project has its own project style. JAXA is working toward a standardized approach to management and knowledge reuse across projects.
Cultural issues at JAXA
It's hard to know what knowledge exists at JAXA. Why? Because most sharing of knowledge is done face-to-face.
See slide 2-1
Overview of the steps to capturing knowledge for a given satellite project.
Responsibility for sharing and using information at JAXA is on the user, not the provider.
(Since I'm not doing so well getting the notes from this session down, I'll share my own observation on something... I find it amazing that here in this room, we have experts from at least three space agencies present (USA, Canada, Japan) and all are freely sharing their knowledge and experiences. that is cool. I remember in grammar school teachers talking about the world getting smaller and smaller. It really is.)
JAXA has created standard policies for documents and records, when to use and how to classify. They have systems (see slide 3-7) for sharing knowledge within each project and between projects.
JAXA Trying to stop the negative spiral in some aspects for their KM system
- Little information available
- As a result system is inadequate/insufficient from a KM perspective
- Users see this as unfavorable
- When means that they contribute less
- leading to a negative spiral
(Doing my best to translate/transcribe)
JAXA FUTURE KM WORK - Creating a positive spiral
- Sufficient Knowledge Content
- Show users how they can leverage that content
- Users see benefits in daily use of content
- Systems gains favorable reputation
- Users are motivated to contribute their knowledge into the system
(Sorry folks for the sparse notes. Speaker is doing his best to speak English, which means that I need to watch slides - hard to do that and type at same time.)