Minds Ready for Action

Sunday, September 19th, 2004
This passage of scripture inspired me today; I'd like to share a portion of it:

Therefore, get your minds ready for action...
I Peter 1:13 (NET Bible)*

I became intrigued by the concept of getting one's mind ready for action, so I decided to research it further.

According to the study commentary in the NET Bible, this figure of speech refers to the Middle Eastern practice of gathering up long robes around the waist to prepare for work or action. In the Greek, it literally means "binding up the loins of your mind.”

The idea is that the wearer of long flowing robes would find it difficult to move about swiftly or with agility. By picking up the loose ends, as it were, we are free to move about with ease.

When we pick up our mental laundry, we are able to quickly focus on things of importance.

Back to minds ready for action: Think about your mental robes... What are the things that prevent you from being ready for action?

I have been thinking about blogging about some of the other productivity principles that I have learned in my personal Bible studies. I wonder what public interest there might be in this subject?

Comments welcome.

* For my friends, some of whom are Bible scholars, I realize that I have quoted only the first few words of this verse, and those out of context; I do not mean to imply that these words are more important than the rest of the verse; far from it.

Correction 9/22/04 6:47 PM PST

I goofed. I pasted in the wrong reference for the passage above. I originally provided James 1:13; the reference should have been 1 Peter 1:13.  Fixed.

productive bible :-)

Just a quick note: I'd be interested in reading about productivity things you found out during bible study.

Reinout

Posted at 9/20/2004 2:59:43 AM by Reinout van Rees

Biblical productivity principles

Hi Eric,

I'd be very interested in productivity tips you picked up during Bible study.

Thanks,

Vince

Posted at 9/20/2004 3:25:50 AM by Vince Ward

Count me in!

I would love to hear productivity tidbits pulled straight from the Bible

Posted at 9/20/2004 8:58:08 AM by Tim

Excellent study material

Hey Eric,

This is a great thing to be looking into. I've recently been doing a study on the importance of work and how we look at our jobs and how God looks at them.

Being in consulting I find I end up going in waves where it's really hard to concentrate and be productive at work, especially when the contract is particularly boring or not challenging.

So my study on work and productivity led me to really focus on there areas.

Worship: Colossians 3:23 says "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men". I've been trying to make my 9 to 5 an act of worship onto the Lord. Worship is not just signing on Sunday morning... it's how I treat everything that God has provided me. He gave me this job and these talents to it. I need to be praising him while doing it - even when I'm soooo bored I want to jump out the window!

Fulfillment: Ecclesiastes 2:24 says "A man can do nothing better then to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work". God wants me to be satisfied with the work that He has given me.

Productivity: John 15:8 says "This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples". This one is the interesting one because here is where the balance of working too much or too little really kicks in! I could easily justify working 60 hours a week cause God "wants me to bear much fruit". Of course, what I try to tell men who come out to our Men's Ministry studies is that if you don't have enough time in your week to spend good quality time with your wife, children and friends then you can be 100% sure that you are not doing God's will for your life.

This is a great thing to be reminded about... I may get into studying this a little more deeper myself.

Posted at 9/20/2004 9:01:49 AM by Kevin

Same here... Go for it!

Posted at 9/20/2004 3:58:07 PM by Duffbert

minds ready for action

Eric,

Definitely would like to read your Blog posts pertaining to God's perspective on productivity.

Thanks - MH

Posted at 9/21/2004 6:17:38 AM by Marshall

Bible-based productivity

Eric,

Please continue to blog on your Bible studies and the applications to productivity. It is great to see this type of thing online.

Jason

Posted at 9/21/2004 11:02:59 AM by Jason Echols

I´d be interested to read what you write on the subject!

I'd be interested to read what you write on the subject!

Posted at 9/23/2004 8:42:52 AM by

GTD and the Bible

I've been thinking lately about doing an 8-week "Getting Things Done" class at my church so your insight is right on time for me! It occurred to me yesterday that two scriptures really show the value of what David Allen means when he tells us to write everything down and keep it off our minds:

- Matthew 6:34 - "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

- Philippians 4:6a - "Do not be anxious about anything"

Presumably our "worries" are on some kind of prayer list, so this seems to support what David is saying. Of course, those of us who know the Creator do have an advantage over those who don't yet.

Posted at 9/25/2004 7:19:49 AM by Ricky Spears

Minds Ready for Action

I'm completing a new book on the "Patterns of Faithfulness" to be found on the tapestry of our lives. One of the key components of the creation of these "patterns" is that God expects us to live our faith in changed and transformed lives. The workplace is a laboratory where our testimony is displayed, observed and absorbed. God is ultimately concerned with what we are becoming, for if that is Christ-like, then what we are doing will also be Christ-like; hence "girding our minds for action" directly relates to the grace exhibited by God through Christ.

You are looking at a critical part of our lives; one wherein we spend a great deal of time and can influence a great many people, either for Christ or no

t. Keep on seeking the Lord in your development of this issue and it has relevance to all of us at all times. I appeciate the track you're taking and look forward to discussing further how God would use this to bring honor and glory to Himself while He conforms us to the image of His Son daily.

Posted at 9/30/2004 2:00:19 PM by Wayne Dell