Lately, I've been experimenting with the speed settings for the M4. What I've found so far is that much of the sluggishness goes away at the high power setting. At the high-power setting, CPU utilization drops to about 12-15% at idle. While this is an improvement - when the Tablet is plugged in - it is not an acceptable solution when on battery. (Besides, when I'm at full power, the not-so-quiet fan stays on full-time.)
Given the connection to the speed setting I now wonder if this is not an end-user software issue, but an issue with the CPU throttling or the tablet OS. based on the CPU utilization and some intuition, the problem appears have something to do with the Ink Recognition - at least that's where I see it the most, meaning that I can writing something and then the system will freeze until I tap. Then, everything works fine. [Note: This has been going on all week - long before I installed the ActiveWords beta this evening.] Other than this slowdown issue, I'm getting closer to YABHTU. In fact, If I could solve this, I would probably be there.
Of course, it could also be me and my expectations for how a productivity tool should perform. Perhaps I'm being unreasonable.
I'm still having fun and I'll keep trying to find a solution. At least, for now, I have an interim work-around.
Thanks to those of you who have sent tips and utilities. I'll work these and post as soon as I learn something new.