Shopping for one certainly is.
In response to my blog, several power-tablet PC users have offered their advice, including Marc Orchant, Lora Heiny, Linda Epstein, Michael Hyatt, James Kendrick, and Rob Bushway, to name a few. After several delightful conference calls and email exchanges with these fine people, I decided to purchase the Fujitsu T4010D Tablet PC ...
until I read the latest news ...
Just before I closed my shopping cart on the Fujitsu site, I checked Tablet PC Buzz; there, I read that Toshiba's just announced the Tecra M4 Tablet PC -- the latest in a series of Tablet PC announcements this month. (See buzz thread.)This unit addresses many items on my Tablet PC wish list. The M4 sports an impressive list of features usually found only on high-end laptops. Perhaps I can become YABHTU after all!
Here are my quick observations taken from the PDF file on the Toshiba site:
Features that I'm excited about:
- Larger screen. 14.1" - yes, I know that makes for a big tablet and a heavy one. I can live with that.
- 8X DVD-R
- DVD Dual-layer burning & playback
- SATA Drive - presumably MUCH faster throughput
- LCD Contrast
- NVIDIA Graphics
- FireWire built-in S-Video port, too.
- AccuPoint - just like my IBM ThinkPad TrackPoint -- A big plus for me, when in laptop mode
- SD Card slot
- Reputation of M200
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Second Battery Option
- Appears to offer options for HD up to 100 gigs, though only as add-on, not upon order. (Why?)
- Microsoft One Note button on outside of Tablet for instant-access to MS One Note
- "Longhorn Ready" (Longhorn's a long way out. I will either grow to enjoy using the tablet or I will ditch the Tablet PC. It won't take long for me to decide.)
- Only one mic - no mic array. (I hope I'm wrong about this)
- Bluetooth does not appear to be built-in. (Yes, I can buy Bluetooth as an "option," buy why? I hope I'm wrong)
- Speakers obscured when in tablet mode. (Does this mean I have to switch to laptop mode to listen?)
- No clear path to order faster processor or larger HD as a custom unit. (Fast HD is a requirement.)
- Is it real, or just announced? If I order a customized unit today, when will I receive it?
I've run out of time. I need to return the wonderful IBM T42 I have been using and make a purchase.
What I thought I could do in a day - purchase a new Tablet PC with the features I wanted - has turned into an amazing adventure. I'm exhausted.
Still, the journey has been a productive one. I've learned a lot and I've met some very interesting people along the way. For that alone, this adventure has been worthwhile.
I would like to make a final purchasing decision in the next 48 hours. (If I can get the answers I want, I'll even order today.)
If you would like to offer your two cents - and I hope that you will - now is your chance.